Ever since I received my Nexus 7 I had been hunting for a case with magnetic wake and sleep feature, but none of them really struck my fancy. So I decided to make my own out of a cheap hardcover book I bought at a truck stop a few years ago.
What you need:
- Hardcover Book
- Box Cutter
- Get a book that you’ll feel comfortable destroying. There is no coming back for this book. You’ll be cutting up its insides with a box cutter.
- Save about 1/5 of the front and 1/5 of the back. Make sure that the middle 3/5 of the book is thicker than your Nexus 7.
- Flip back a few pages in the front 1/5 and place your magnet on the magnetic detection area of your tablet. The angle of your magnet is important! Rotate the magnet until you find the optimal angle for smart sleep and wake. Glue it on the page.
- Make an outline of your cut area and start cutting.
- Glue those pages you cut, put the book under a heavy object so the pages stick together.
You may want to leave the book out in the sun for the glue odor to fade away.
This design works for other tablets too, but you’d need a bigger book for the iPad and other 10 inch tablets. Have fun and be safe!